You might wonder if there is any value in understanding the difference between brain wave frequencies. Of course there is value in knowing this, knowledge awards us power! And understanding that brain waves are something we can assert control over, is power, within itself.
Greater Control Over Your Mind Equals Improved Control Over Your Life
Waves and their frequencies are measured in Hertz (Hz) and our brains (on average) have wave frequencies of between 0.5 Hz and 100 Hz. It follows a useful logic, that the slower the frequency, the more relaxed we are. From lowest to highest frequencies they are ordered in this way:
- Delta Waves – Occur during sleep
- Theta Waves – Occur during deep trance
- Alpha Waves – Occur in light trance
- Beta Waves – Occur whilst awake
- Gamma Waves – Occur during meditation and higher cognitive reasoning
So, Gamma, the highest wave frequency, is associated with higher cognitive function, and has been found during meditation. This, in itself is interesting, as it does confirm our findings:
- Meditation, is of great value, if improved logical reasoning, cognitive function and stress management, (awareness and attention focus) are your goals. In fact, present, focused and alert, best describes the mind state meditation can achieve.
Alpha and Theta waves are associated with Hypnosis (Alpha, light trance and Theta, deep). Again, interesting, because it also confirms our findings:
- Light to deep levels of Hypnotic Trance (operator or self induced) are most beneficial for developing creativeness, imagination, relaxation, the effective seating of suggestion/autosuggestion, and easing deeper psychological conflict.
Finally Beta is associated with being fully awake and Delta with fast asleep.